The term Web Hosting refers to the set of services required to
- store the files which comprise a website
- process any scripts or programs those files require
- display the resulting, complete web pages to visitors
Web hosting is sometimes used exclusively to refer to these activities as they relate to web pages, but can be used more broadly to refer to entire categories of hosting for not only web pages but also email, web based applications, databases, etc.
Web hosting services are provided by many companies, and these companies typically occupy different niches. For example, some companies offer packages with high data transfer limits to serve the audio and video markets, while some offer hosting specifically with certain content platforms – like WordPress – in mind.
The cost for web hosting ranges from free to thousands of dollars per month, depending on the features and hardware required.
- The Best Web Hosting for WordPress
- CDN WordPress for Speed & Security
- The Rockstar’s Guide to Email Hosting
This article is part of our Smarter in 60 Seconds series. Articles from the Smarter in 60 Seconds series are designed to quickly give you an overview of a topic. They link to more in depth discussion and resources so you can explore further.